0485 - 2570223
About the Church
St. Stephen's Bes-Ania Jacobite Syrian Valiya Pally, Chelad, which is also called "Thekkilakkattu Bes Ania Church", comes under Kothamangalam zone of Ankamali Diocese of the Jacobite Syrian Christian Church, under the Holy Apostolic See of Antioch and All the East. Of the 160 church under Angamaly Diocese, this church always stood, a role model in discipline: worship: spiritual activities and cordial relationship with all other factions of the Christian Community and other religions Chelad situates 5 kilometers north of Kothamangalam, 18 kilometers south of Edamalayar Dam and 5 kilometers south of Bhoothathankettu Dam. The Thattekkad Birds Sanctuary is hardly 8 kilometers east of Chelad. The proposed Atomic Energy Station's site, Pooyamkutty, is 20 kilometers north east of Chelad.

The foundation stone of the church was laid down in the name of St.Stephen in November 1871 by H.G. Pulikottil Joseph Mar Gregorios Malankara. The required property for the church was donated by late Sri. Mathu Varkey of Kottisserikudiyil House and the construction of the church was done under his supervision. As per an agreement executed in the holy presence of H.G. Paulose Mar Athanasious (Valiyathirumeni) of Angamaly Diocese, the church was offered for the faithfully by His Grace On 15th Oct. 1894. Of the three Altars, the main Altar is dedicated to St. Stephen, the one on the north is in the name of St. Mary and the one on the south is in the name of St. George. The relics of "Yacoob Burdano" installed in a tomb is also in the church which was ceremoniously done by H.G. Geevarghese Mor Gregorios (Saint Parumala Kochuthirumeni).

Holy Fathers of Antioch, viz, Mor Ignatius Elias III Patriarch, Mor Ignatius Yacob III Patriarch and the present Holy Father of Antioch Mor Ignatius Zaka I Patriarch visited this church and blessed the parish. The Holy Fathers expressed their happiness in the unchallenged loyalty, obedience and faith of the parishners to the Throne of Antioch.

This church has been an ideal and role model in various spiritual activities. There is no faction fight in this church. Two Sunday Schools, Martha Mariam Vanitha Samajam, Youth Association and Anthyokya Viswasa Samrakshana Samithi function under the church. The parishners thankfully remember late Rev. Fr. Geevarghese Mattamana and late Rt. Rev. Skariah Corepiscopa, Nedumthallil who served the church over 40 years for their dedicated tremendous service in church activities. The yearly spiritual convention lasting for a week, the opening of a choir set with organs, encouraging the laities to make sermon on bible on Sundays etc. were new to this diocese when they were started. The priests that followed them also continued their foot-steps without fail.

The administration of the church rests with the vicar, co-vicar and the 23 managing committee elected by the general body. The tenure of the Managing Committee is two year. The supervision of the schools rests with the manager and board members. The Chairman of the public school, Secretary and Board members are elected by the Managing Committee.

This parish, undoubtly stand behind the Holy See of Antioch and up keeps unquestionable faith, trust, obedience and loyalty to the Patriach of Antioch and to the Catholicose of the East. The General Body of the church met on 30.06.2002 approved and accepted the constitution of the Jacobite Syrian Christian Association of 2002.

The parish steadily progress in spiritual activities by the invisible Grace and Blessings of the mediator St. Stephen, Mor Yacob Burdono, St. George and St. Mary. We submit the parish wholly before the Almighty who shower his invisible grace to this parish church and its members.
News
chelad besania church
11-Apr-2016, 12:00:00:am
chelad besania church
Sign Up for News Letter